💜I saw a great post from fibro_warriors Instagram page about “5 Ways To Handle Your Negative Thoughts 💜”.
😖I struggle A LOT with negative thoughts 💭, but I keep it close to my chest. I don’t want to appear weak or God forbid, crazy 😝. I know many people out there struggle too but feel they have to hide in the shadows….
Depression is a chemical imbalance in our brain 🧠. We are NOT broken. We are NOT insignificant. We are DEFINITELY NOT crazy. Our body has waged war on itself – we are our own worst enemy 🙎🏼♀️🙎🏻♂️. We fight 🗡🛡 a battle most people cannot even have nightmares about 😱. Do NOT surrender to the enemy and listen to that deceitful liar in your head, commonly known as depression 🙅🏼♀️. You are not alone 👫. You are significant ❤️. I challenge myself and I challenge you to find the beauty 💞 in your flaws 😎. We are ALL flawed in some way…
For me and others, having a condition like fibromyalgia lands us in this seemingly endless loop with depression 🧟♀️. The pain 🤯 and the many agonizing facets of the illness feed into the depression even more. When we become depressed MORE, then the illness gets worse with increasing pain 😤. It feels like a merry go round from hell 😡.
Choose to see the positives 💜 in these situations – I completely understand how hard it is 💜. We realize the immense blessing it is to have that rare good day ☀️. We find joy in the simple things in life 🌸. We feel emotions more deeply ⚡️. We know what it means to survive 💪🏻.
I encourage you to look over the “5 Ways To Handle Your Negative Thoughts” and put them into practice in your own life 💜.
Here is how I put some of these ways into practice in my own life:
1. When I am conscious of a negative thought, I find it very difficult to shut it down 👎. My mind gets away from me 🧠. I have to consciously think 🤔 “STOP 🛑 IT”. Then, I usually take a nap or clean. I clean to get my frustration out, P.S. and by the way.
2. Sometimes I have to force myself to get out of bed and do chores or read or blog or play with my dogs 🐶. I find that forcing myself to get up helps me feel better and more productive 🙌🏻. Those days have become few and far between so I am more grateful for them. (Side note 📝: As I was writing this, my hands and my feet started to itch and somewhat burn like crazy – type of itch you can’t scratch, almost like neuropathy. This is a fate worse than death 💀 when you want to gnaw off your own hands and feet because the itching is SO intense and annoying and you know there isn’t immediate relief 😅. My solution is Benadryl, anti-itch cream and going to bed as soon as possible). Ugh – “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming 🏊♀️ “.
3. Negative Triggers 👎: Okay – so I don’t handle this way in the most mature fashion. There are some days where I just cannot handle life, and I turn my phone 📱 on “Do Not Disturb” and either sleep or read in order to shut out the world 🌍. Staying off social media is a big help for me as well as avoiding the negativity of the news (I know we need to be informed but still!). 🤔
4. Ahhhh the elusive rest – I don’t remember what a good night’s sleep 💤 feels like. I have had to force myself to come to terms with the fact that my sleep schedule is BEYOND messed up. I had to stop ✋ hating myself for not sleeping like normal people and just listen to my body. Get sleep when and where you can – EVEN if it means a nap here and a nap there 💜. Don’t beat yourself up about it. Sleep hygiene is very important to your health, but sometimes you have to achieve rest in your own unique way 💤. Embrace it 🤣 – I’m trying to!
5. This is my FAVORITE step. Music 🎶 is the best medicine along with dogs. I have what I call doggy dance parties 🎉 where I dance with my dogs or just make them dance 💃🏻. I unabashedly dance in my house 🏠 to all types of music. Today, I did this like backwards spin on the hardwood with a glass of Dr. Pepper in my hand, and I totally slipped, twisted my body funny and fell incredibly hard on my right side 🤦🏼♀️. I’m bruised on the right side of my body, my ego is bruised and some of my Dr. Pepper spilled out, but I stuck the landing and didn’t break the glass. I ended up laughing hysterically and thanking God I didn’t break my ankle. I’m so use to pain that the fall just honestly startled me 🤷🏼♀️. I walked away super proud that I stuck the landing and SUPER SORE 💁🏼♀️. SO WORTH IT 👯♂️.
🤔 Have you used any of these ways to handle your negative thoughts💭? Have you used other ways to handle them ⁉️.
-The Dramatic Ginger